2018 has been a wonderful 12 months of new premises, new projects, growth and great music.
Before we close out the year we’d like to invite you to revisit some of our top moments of 2018, covering Projects, Awards, Industry and Events.
- Our team worked closely with a creative agency to uncover the perfect soundtrack for the powerful Mercedes-Benz GLE campaign film ‘For all the miles that make you stronger.’ We pitched the exciting contemporary soul and R&B of Michael Kiwanuka, whose track “Cold Little Heart”provided the perfect heartfelt emotional soundtrack to reinforce the brand’s tagline ‘All Kinds Of Strength.’
- Nike Japan’s collaboration with esteemed hip hop choreographer Koharu Sugawara – in celebration of the brand’s Air Force 1 Collection – produced two impactful short films, called Nike Presents: “FORCE DANCE MOVIE.” Both versions featured a unique, edgy electronic soundtrack composition produced by Tracks & Fields.
- When an unusual request landed in our inbox, we couldn’t resist ! Our project brief for German retailer OTTO involved us finding a young female musician with exceptional drumming skills to star in the campaign “Mia feiert das OTTO Shopping Festival.” We conducted a global search for the best drummer, and found our star in Chita, a young musician from Tokyo.
- In partnership with prestigious German photography brand Leica, Chinese telecom Huawei released their P20 and P20Pro smartphones featuring the new Leica Dual Camera. Our music supervision work placed the 1964 rock song “Baby I Go For You” by British band The Blue Rondos in the film – a song which comes with its own weighty backstory.
- Berlin-based web series Das Apartment from writer/director Reinaldo P. Almeida and producer Urs Kind centres around the daily escapades of three international thirty-something flatmates as they navigate life in the German capital city. We supervised the theme music played during each episode’s opening titles: the 1974 song “Du hast den Farbfilm vergessen”by Automobil fronted by a pre-punk Nina Hagen.
For a full recap of all our projects through 2018, including work for Toyota, Porsche, Onitsuka Tiger, Volkswagen, Postbank and more, click HERE.
- Nike Presents: “FORCE DANCE MOVIE” receive the Adfest Bronze Lotus Award in the Original Music Score category and Bronze Awards for Editing and Sound Design.
- The Nike campaign was also shortlisted for ‘Best Use Of Original Music’ at Cannes Lions and nominated in the ‘Best Original Composition: Online, Viral + Ambient Advertising’ category from the UK-based Music+Sound Awards. The campaign was additionally shortlisted in the Film Technique (Editing) category of this year’s prestigious Clio Awards.
- ADAC‘s hilarious “Pottery – Don’t Call Mom” spot was awarded a Bronze Lion Campaign Award in the Film category at Cannes Lions.
- At ADC Festival Hamburg and Berlin’s Radio Advertising Award our music placement work for Lufthansa radio commercials and OTTO‘s ‘Mia feiert das OTTO Shopping Festival’ campaign, were officially recognised by selection juries at both events; OTTO spot was shortlisted twice, and from three shortlist mentions the Lufthansa spot was awarded one silver and two bronze medals.The Lufthansa campaign was similarly honoured at the Radio Advertising Award peers, collecting one gold, one bronze and two honourable mentions.
- OTTO‘s 2017 La Paz Christmas campaign was shortlisted four times for art direction, script, acting and cinematography for Film:Craft at New York Festivals.
- Adfest, Thailand: our pop-up Vinyl Island record store was created in Adfest’s Production Hut, and proved to be an endless hive of activity for the duration of the festival.To help stock our store, we were generously provided a selection of vinyl records from 20 of Berlin’s finest underground record labels. All records were ‘sold’ for the price of a small charitable donation to Save The Children Thailand,
- Busan, South Korea: at Asia’s fastest-growing advertising awards show and festival, AdStars.
- Cannes, France: Our CEO Christian Mix-Linzer’s presentation – ‘Getting to the Core of Your Brand’s Music Identity’ – was part of Cannes Lions Creative Academy track and consisted of detailed case studies and expert insight into the process of building a signature brand sound.
- Bavarian association Comm Clubs announced the Jury participants of their CommAwards which included Christian alongside peers from organisations such as Check24 Vergleichsportal, Sky Deutschland Fernsehen and thjnk Berlin.
- We were similarly thrilled to be invited by Dentsu Creative X, Japan’s biggest production company and creative agency, to be one of their selected ‘X Special Guests’ for their annual Cannes Lions Beach Party.
- Our annual Cannes Lions daytime recovery party, Hangover Rehab, once again welcomed an international cast of industry visitors for a dose of sun and sustenance each day of the festival.Several hundred invitees including film producers, creatives, and music industry professionals came together to meet and mingle, fuel up on complimentary brunch and cocktails, and take in the stunning ocean views from our beachfront balcony.
- The fall season began with our annual end-of-summer party, which this year doubled as a housewarming bash for our new office space in Berlin Mitte. Our new larger premises were suitably warmed up by our friends and industry partners, who joined us for a superb sundown session of BBQ food, cocktails and music. We welcomed guests from thjnk, Bigfish Film, boldbreed, Iconoclast, McCann NY, embassy of dreams, DDB and many more.
- In autumn we unveil our new event series – DIRECTOR SHOWCASE – in Tokyo, Japan, to celebrate the local creatives and film making communities who have a strong link to their local markets, and whose film work is deeply connected to music.
- We closed the year last week with a Christmas Party evening of dinner, discussion and mingling with our Berlin partners, peers and friends.